Walking
through the road all unaccompanied and I was thinking about my best friend.
Whatever happened was unknown, but the assertion shook my nerves. She was
missing since a year and never came back… never ever. A single contemplation of
her and I missed her more than ever. My walk came to an end as I reached my
university, walking across the lobby looking at random people.
I
went towards my locker to look out for the books I needed for impending
lectures. For years it was my habit to glance at three lockers past mine, so as
usual I did so. I was awestruck, for minutes I couldn’t believe my own eyes.
Diandra was standing right there with her unfathomable smile, her eyes looking
straight at me asking me to walk towards her. I was paralyzed, befuddled and my
mind stood in midst of chaos. I went to her and asked her, “Diandra, How have
you been? Where were you for years?” she gave a strange reply “I was right here
around you. I never went anywhere”. Thousands of questions revolved in my mind
but I could ask none. I kept gazing at her intently because I couldn’t believe
my eyes my best friend was standing right in front of me. Suddenly she turned
towards me with gleam in eyes and asked “do you know what is that I love the
most?” I replied although not confident about my answer “it is the blue dress
that your dad gave you when you were 10”. Diandra gave a grave reply “No,
sweetheart. It is my doll Nora, she has always been close to me “. I replied “Oh
yes! How can I forget Nora, she has always been your favourite” although in my
mind I thought Diandra had grown up and she might not fancy her doll anymore,
because when she got it we were in grade 1, I’d cut through my thoughts and
looked at Diandra. She looked sad and said “Stell, Nora has always been my
sweetheart, keep her safe”. I was left with no answer feeling more distanced
from Diandra as had ever been. Out of the blue Diandra said “It’s a goodbye Stell”
and with a flash of light she disappeared.
I
woke up all clammy and realized the reality, Diandra was nowhere near me. Yes,
she was gone and no one knew the truth. I walked around my room for minutes,
drank some water to freshen up. I got geared up to leave for university,
walking all the way thinking about my nightmare. I reached the university
strolling through the lobby, leaving towards for locker section. I again looked
at third locker past mine, hoping Diandra to be right there looking at me. But
reality had to be accepted, Diandra was gone. Preoccupied with my thoughts as I
opened my locker I found something astonishing and spooky- Nora standing with a
note in her hand “Keep her safe.”
It was good.. But next time you can try little bit unpredictable :)
ReplyDeleteSure. Thank you for your comment :)
DeleteReally nice one...
ReplyDeleteThank you :)
ReplyDeleteWell written. The end was very nice.
ReplyDelete